Free Mammograms….yes, FREE!

by A Frugal Friend on October 20, 2010

20 Flares 20 Flares ×

Frugal Friend

I had my very first mammogram just a few months after losing my mom. I was 34. I’ve had one every Spring since.

I’ve never paid a co-payment. I’ve never received a bill. I’ve never even had to justify why I’m getting one prior to age 40. I have great insurance.

But not everyone has insurance.

Thankfully, there are great programs out there for women and men who cannot afford to pay for mammograms. Some are Free, while others are low-cost. What a blessing.

1. National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program: the program helps low-income, uninsured, and underinsured women gain access to breast and cervical cancer screening and diagnostic services.  Find information on local programs in your area here. Services include—

* Clinical breast examinations.
* Mammograms.
* Pap tests.
* Pelvic examinations.
* Diagnostic testing if results are abnormal.
* Referrals to treatment.

Want to know how important programs like this are?
In program year 2009, the NBCCEDP—

* Screened 324,912 women for breast cancer with mammography and found 4,635 breast cancers.
* Screened 320,627 women for cervical cancer with the Pap test and found 4,694 cervical cancers and high-grade precancerous lesions.

WOW!

2. October Screenings: This month, all across the country, many hospitals and organizations have set up Free or Low Cost Mammogram Screenings. All you need to do is google “free mammogram screening october 2010″ and your area.

This are too numerous to mention them all, but here’s just a couple:
West Michigan Pink Saturdays
New Jersey area

I know that many women are scared to get mammograms for so many different reasons.

I know….I get scared too.

But the thought of my daughter growing up without her mom scares me more. Please get a mammogram……says a daughter who’d give almost anything to hug her mom one more time.

20 Flares Twitter 13 Facebook 7 StumbleUpon 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 20 Flares ×

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Keri October 20, 2010 at 8:42 am

This is so important! Thank you for sharing. I’ve not gotten a mammogram yet (I’m 26) but never miss my annual check-up with my doctor. My mom just turned 50 and it scares the crap out of me that she’s been struggling with breast cancer for 4 years after having cervical cancer when she was about 25.

2 Cheryl October 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I need to get my annual mammagram, my insurance does not cover it where can I go in Wichita, KS

3 Sarah m October 23, 2010 at 7:35 am

Thanks for sharing!

4 Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute October 23, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I am so glad you shared this. My sister and I were just wondering why there aren’t free mammograms for people who can’t afford this so important test. I’m very grateful to you for posting this because I know someone who can use this information. Who knows. You may have saved a life.

Hugs…Tracy :)

5 pam livingston October 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm

With blogs like these, spreading the word of preventive care is extremely important, thanks for sharing

6 Rockin Rita October 26, 2010 at 7:39 pm

such a smart thing to do to take care of oneself! I make sure I do self-exams as I’m only 26 but when time comes I’ll get mine! Thanks for posting and helping raise awareness!!!!

7 Roshni October 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm

In recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness month, the Silver Cross Center for Women’s Health in New Lenox, IL is offering screening mammograms for $100 for women who call in October to make an appointment before the end of the year.

With an order from their doctor for a screening mammogram, women can then schedule their test at the Silver Cross Center for Women’s Health in New Lenox and receive their results within 24 hours. The $100 screening mammogram includes the radiologist fee. Cash, check and credit cards will be accepted at time of appointment—insurance will not be billed. Please mention this SPECIAL MAMMOGRAM when you call (815) 740-7076 to schedule your appointment with your doctor’s order. Don’t have a doctor? Call 1-888-660-HEAL for a free referral.

8 Leanna Morris October 31, 2010 at 8:49 am

I dread each time I go for a mamogram..have had some that were painful, but I am too afraid NOT to go. I wish every woman would get them, and perhaps some of the breast cancers could be caught earlier.

9 Kenna R October 31, 2010 at 9:15 am

I feel so lucky that the insurance company I have actually pays for my mammogram 100%! Its time for my mammogram, too, so its time to make my appointment! Thanks!

10 yessica March 30, 2011 at 8:12 am

I’m 20 years old and I need to get a mammogram done I never had one but my grandmother had breasts cancer and had to have her breast removed, now I have felt a bump in my chest and it hurts, I want to get checked but I dont have any money I live in South Carolina were could I go?

11 A Frugal Friend March 31, 2011 at 12:44 pm

HI,

Just did a quick check and I don’t know where exactly you are in South Carolina, so I would head to this contact page – which has a phone number…..they should be able to tell you exactly where to get free mammogram in South Carolina.

Let me know if you need anything else……it can be scary going in for a mammogram, but it’s so important, esp if you have felt a bump. Hugs to you!

12 maria April 4, 2011 at 9:37 am

Hi my name is maria. im 48 years old havent see a doctor in over 20 years. i have no insurance. i have been having alot of trouble with my breast. they pain me every day. my question is where can you go for a mammogram. i live in delaware. and cant afford to pay for it. im scared,if anyone can help would be great ,thanks maria.

13 A Frugal Friend April 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Maria,

Please visit this link as there is information on Delaware mammograms and a number to see if you qualify for free screenings:

Hope this helps!

14 Yvonne October 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I need to have my yearly screening , can you give me a few places where I can go please. I am unemployed

15 A Frugal Friend October 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I emailed you

16 Cathy Fowler February 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for your help! I had breast cancer six years ago and had good insurance. I am now unemployed, a spouse unemployed and no insurance. Because of my cancer I can’t even get insurance except for with the state which costs $700.00 a month with a $5,000.00 deductible before it pays out anything. It is so funny to think that at one time one our lives we were living the dream and we are now the unfortunate.