Preschooler Project: Easter Egg Letter Matching

by A Frugal Friend on April 21, 2011

36 Flares 36 Flares ×

I have to admit, I’ve got more Easter eggs than I know what to do with.

In my “former life”, I had a just a few around for decorations. Add in one child and a couple of Easter egg hunts and now the attic is full of them. In fact, I only got a fraction of them out this year to decorate…..that was until I discovered a great activity for my 3-year old, thanks to The Hills, via Lorie.

This activity is perfect for preschoolers who are learning their letters, since it seems all kids (or maybe just mine) love to sit and pull apart Easter eggs and put them back together.  Is it just mine?  :-)

Easter Egg Letter Matching – Capital Letters and Lowercase Letters

Using a permanent marker, I placed a Capital Letter on the bigger end of each Easter egg. I then placed a matching Lowercase Letter on the smaller end.

I made sure to keep a match the same color….just to help them out a little bit in case they get stuck. They’ll know to just look at all the pink eggs,  for the match.  You can use fewer colors for more difficulty.

I placed them in a container and the activity is ready to go.  This is one activity that children can do on their own and even take their time throughout the day.

My daughter gets real excited when she finds a match – a sense of accomplishment. And Mommy isn’t necessarily helping along the way, which promotes a bit of independence in learning.

Other Egg Idea:
Number Matching (Write number on one side and draw dots on other)

Look for more Inexpensive Preschooler Projects in the coming weeks!

Have a great idea for a project?  Feel free to email me at afrugalfriend (at) gmail (dot) com.

36 Flares Twitter 8 Facebook 17 StumbleUpon 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 11 36 Flares ×

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Heather April 22, 2011 at 8:09 am

Great idea, I’ll be working on it this afternoon! Perfect for my almost 5 year old!

2 Amy April 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

This is awesome! I’m going to do this after our church egg hunt tomorrow!

3 Jan Messali May 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Fantastic! I’ve done a similar thing with my kindergarten classes. I also printed small clip-art pictures on card stock and cut them just the right size to fit into the egg. The kids have fun putting the pictures inside the correct egg… i.e. fish picture in the “F” egg.

4 Helena June 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Very cute idea! Even Grandmas can do this one! (Not that I am one, but will be at some point sooner than later!)

5 Melody July 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I write CVC words on the eggs for my kindergarteners to practice reading. The first letter goes on the shorter half of the egg, and the last two letters on the other half. They can mix and match to make real words or pretend words.

6 Gwen August 12, 2011 at 5:26 am

I love it!! Glad I read this post!

7 Prisilla August 20, 2011 at 6:40 am

What a great idea! When my daughter was learning. I totally forgot to teach her lowercase! Embaressing to admit! I will be trying this with my 2nd :)

8 Susie September 3, 2011 at 11:16 pm

What a great idea! People often overlook the lowercase letters when teaching them.

9 Frances K. September 5, 2011 at 11:54 am

Such a cute idea! I will definitely have to use this when I’m a preschool teacher. Perfect for around Easter, education and decoration!

10 April Harvell September 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

This is a great idea… I still have Easter eggs around here might have to give it a go with some friends children. :-)

11 Love{&}Bugs September 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love this! What a great idea! I’m going to stock up on some eggs after Easter and do this with my kids. I know the oldest will love it.

12 Heather Thomas September 27, 2011 at 4:24 am

great idea! i have plastic eggs left over from Easter that I had no clue how to re-use since my kids prefer to hunt down the eggs that they dyed and the Easter Bunny has “dropped” on his way out lol

13 Kim M October 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

This is a great idea. I will make these. I do daycare and this would be a fun way to learn the alphabet.

14 ann* November 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

This is great for the kids to learn . It could be done with numbers to.
A good idea after egg hunts to use those plastic eggs.

15 candace February 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

oh my goodness! how creative and fun!

16 Ann* March 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm

they can learn 3 ways with this – match letters – name the colors – & name what letter is it

17 chelesa sims March 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

this is a great idea . I never thought of putting letters on eggs .I once may letters out of dough and used food coloring .

18 chelesa sims March 17, 2012 at 8:32 am

this is a great idea . I never thought of putting letters on eggs .I once made letters out of dough and used food coloring .

19 Karen Propes April 4, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I love this idea, we too have more easter eggs than we should have (LOL). But I’m so excited that I’m going to put this together for a Good Friday out of school project. I think I’ll add a couple of egg flats and let them put them in order also… Thanks
[email protected]

20 Linda May 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love the idea with the letters on the plastic eggs. I wanted to find something to do with all these eggs.

21 Karen Propes May 25, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I love this idea, I haven’t put my eggs up yet so I know it will be a great I’m Bored activity. Thanks so much you are so creative!!!