#177 Cynthia R
Summer isn’t over yet……..and with school not starting for another week, we’ve still got time for one more get-together. Perfect timing really, as August is full of family birthdays.
Chef Aaron McCargo Jr., host of Food Network’s Big Daddy’s House, has teamed up with Family Dollar, to offer great grilling ideas and more ways to save. We all want to save, don’t we?
I’ll be honest, here in Dallas/Ft Worth, we aren’t spending too much time outdoors. It’s not the heat, it’s all about the mosquitoes (and the West Nile Virus)…..so we just have to get creative and bring the BBQ indoors. With a little creativity, it can be even more fun!
“BBQs should be fun, flavorful and carefree. And, it all starts with a flavorful menu,” McCargo Jr. says. “This is the perfect time of year to experiment with flavor combinations when planning your menu. From seasonal fruits and vegetables to marinades and sauces, there are many different ways to combine flavors that best represent the mood or theme of your celebration.”
- Marinate your meat in Glad(R) freezer bags overnight or several hours before to lock in the delicious flavors you’re going to be serving.
- Gather Markers and Stickers for FUN – Use markers so everyone can write their names on their cups for reusing. For a fun twist, encourage people to make up a name, and then guess whose cup belongs to whom. Finally, put stickers on the underside of a couple of plates and mix up the pile. Hand out a door prize to the people who end up using the stickered plates.
- Games are also very important, and have a variety on hand for kids and adults alike. Family Dollar offers a fun selection of prizes and activities for everyone, in every age group – without breaking your budget. Establish a smaller beanbag toss game to encourage a little friendly competition.
(NOTE: We’ve actually done the beanbag toss indoors at a home party and it was a HUGE hit.)
- When grilling, turn meat only once. For steaks, turn the meat when the juices start to bubble on the top. The clearer the juice, the more well-done the meat.
- Apply sauces containing honey, brown sugar or molasses during the last 10 minutes of grilling to prevent the sauces from burning.
- Keep a spray bottle handy so you can calm down grill flare-ups, which could blacken the food.
Check out Family Dollar for the best value on basic cleaning supplies, such as trash bags, disinfecting wipes, and Scott(R) Brand Paper Towels.
You can find more Chef McCargo’s Tips, Recipes and Videos online!
Family Dollar wants to help spice up our family fun………….and thanks to them, my daughter has a new found interest in badminton! She is pretty awesome at it too!
One (1) lucky winner will receive a Spice Up Your Family Fun Giveaway Package, which includes:
SCOTT Paper Towels
GLAD Plastic Bags
Colored Chalk Tote
HOW TO ENTER:
For your main entry, Leave a comment and tell me why you’d like to win! That’s it!
You can earn one (1) extra entry for each of the following (leave as separate comments please for each entry):
2. Follow A Frugal Friend on Google +
3. Follow A Frugal Friend on Pinterest
4. Like A Frugal Friend on FB
5. Like Family Dollar on FB
6. Follow A Frugal Friend on Twitter
7. Follow Family Dollar on Twitter
8. Tweet the following as is: Win a Spice Up Your Family Fun Giveaway Package! http://tinyurl.com/9bs3svr @AFrugalFriend
Giveaway ends at midnight (central time) on Monday, August 27th, 2012! Valid for US residents and addresses only. No purchase necessary to enter. Winner will be randomly selected. I’ll announce (and contact by email) the winner on this post and the winner will have 2 days to get back to me for delivery details. Limit one set of entries per household.
(Complimentary products were provided. All remarks are the personal and honest opinions of A Frugal Friend.)